Monday, March 14, 2011

March Madness

It's finally begun.  Actually, it started last week with all the conference tournaments, but everyone who doesn't follow sports as much thinks it's just the tournament.  The conference tournaments mark the official beginning, at least for me they do.  In the conference tournaments, so many crazy things can happen, and did happen this season.
UConn had to play a game on the first day of the Big East tournament, and they rode that into a Big East Tournament Championship, playing five games in five days.  That's pretty impressive for a division one varsity athlete to play five basketball games at that level in five days.
In the Big Ten Tournament, Michigan State beat Purdue in that matchup.  And even more surprising, Penn State beat Wisconsin..... 36-33.... as a final!  That was the lowest scoring game in Big Ten Tournament history.  And the second lowest scoring game in any conference tournament history.  (George Mason won a game 35-33 in 2003).
There were Buzzer Beaters and blowouts.  There were upsets and there were predicted outcomes.  But, the best is yet to come.  With the NCAA Tournament expanding to 68 teams this year, many people believed that this would allow more teams in that were worthy.  After watching all the Selection Sunday specials, it seems that the Tournament Committee made a couple mistakes.  The two teams that got in that everyone is talking about are VCU and UAB (Virginia Commonwealth and Alabama-Birmingham respectively).  The teams that are unanimously wanted in instead are Colorado and Virginia Tech.  I can see why the Tournament Committee chose these tow teams, and I can also see why others want CU and Va Tech.  Colorado and Virginia Tech play in two of the "Power Conferences" and they have "better" strength of  schedule.  But, VCU and UAB were two teams that are worthy to get in.  The Tournament Committee hopefully added them to add a little more parody in the tournament and put a couple more mid-major teams in.  Whatever, I give up trying to figure out the Committee.  I'm done with this and I'm going to go fill out a bracket.

I want to throw it out there that I was just made aware that these blogs have to actually be about something.  So, I'm going to toss in these topics at the end of this blog.  I feel like my first post was a little about Social Media, so I hope that counts enough.  My last blog was about my life a little bit at Ohio Northern (as were a couple of my comments to others).  So, I guess I have to talk about the books for class.  Engaged wasn't terrible.  It talked a bit about communication.  I think what the book had to say was correct, in that people want to get to know you, an that's why social media for businesses is important.  New Influence had the AOL story, that was just amazing.  I hadn't heard of this guy or that story, surprisingly.  But, after reading it, I was a little appalled as to what I was hearing.  I can't believe that anyone would act like that.  Asking for his father, when the guy was 30 years old?  haha what a d-bag.  Hopefully the books are going to be like this most of the time, as that will make them a little easier to read.

-GP

No comments:

Post a Comment