Sunday, March 27, 2011

March Madness!

The last time I talked about March Madness, it was after Selection Sunday, and I was complaining about some of the teams that got into the tournament.  I was actually, very upset about it all, and about many of the teams that had received bids.  Mainly VCU and UAB.

Now, I have no right to ever talk about VCU not deserving to be in the tournament.  They didn't just win the First Four round.  They didn't just win the first round.  They didn't just win in the second round.  They didn't just win in the Sweet Sixteen.  They didn't just win in the Elite Eight.  They dominated a team that was seeded higher than them in every round.  That is something that is absolutely amazing.  No one thought that they deserved to be in the tournament, let alone thought that they would get into the Final Four.  Along the way, they defeated (11) USC, (6) Georgetown, (3) Purdue, (10) Florida State, and (1) Kansas.  They won all those games by an average of twelve points, with only one of the wins (Florida State) by single digits (72-71).  Seeing as my bracket has been trashed for a while now, I am now officially a Virginia Commonwealth fan for the rest of this tournament.

This is only the third time that a double digit seeded team has made the Final Four, and both the other times it has been an 11 seed.  George Mason in 2006 and LSU way back in 1986.  Also, a fun fact, of the ten times that Kansas has been a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, they have been defeated by an 8 or lower seed, four times.

The team that VCU is going to be playing in their Final Four game?  Oh, that's just 8th seeded Butler, who got to the NCAA finals last season.  Going into the tournament, every "expert" was saying that this was the weakest tournament in recent history, well, I don't know if this helps or hurts the expert's case, but it sure does make it an awesome story and really fun to watch.

-GP

3 comments:

  1. May I just say that because of Duke losing, that has completely screwed up my entire bracket. I'm now a little bitter that you made me fill one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These March games have most certainly been 'mad.' This is honestly the only time of the year that I really get into college basketball, because I always get to enter a bracket at my dad's work and there is money on the line. I love watching the close games and I love watching the underdog win.

    I had Kansas winning the entire tournament, and I thought I had a pretty good shot of that happening. But no. This VCU team I have never heard of comes in and beats Kansas. Wow. I feel like I can't even be mad about that. I'm with you, Go VCU!

    I guess the saying, 'never underestimate the power of an underdog,' is a very correct statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I filled out a bracket. And of course it has been torn to shreds. With Louisville losing in the first round, I knew I was destined for failure. However, my beloved Butler Bulldogs are still alive! I'm going to be honest and say that I had them losing a couple rounds ago, but I don't even care about my bracket anymore. All of you guys that are new VCU fans better watch out! I have a feeling that the Bulldogs will come out on top!

    ReplyDelete