Saturday, April 9, 2011

It's Over...

I don’t know how to take this right now.  I just finished up my last season of volleyball, ever.  We had a great season this year, even being ranked 5th for most of the season, but the ending just wasn’t what we had expected.  The national tournament was held in Houston, TX this year, and we came in as the 8th overall seed.  The first day went as planned, and went very well for all of us, as we won al three of our matches in pool play.  It was the second day where we got really screwed.  We lost to a Duke team that we shouldn’t have lost to, and we beat a MSU-Mankato team pretty handily.  It was a three-team power-pool and the top two teams go on to the Gold bracket, while the 3rd place team goes to silver.  All three teams had an identical 1-1 record, so it goes to sets won, and all matches were won in two sets, so it went to point differential.  Duke ended up getting first place, and going into the gold bracket.  But, you cannot get kicked out of gold by point differential, so there was a one set playoff with MSU-Mankato that we had to play.  A team that we beat 25-16, 25-17 just about 20 minutes before, we now had to play another set to get into gold.  We end up losing 24-26 and have to go to silver. 

We go on to have no trouble, wining the silver bracket.  We finished the tournament with a record of 8-1 (maybe 8-1 ½), and that means we got 17th place.  Tell me how that works.  At least I got to end my volleyball career with a win, even though it wasn’t the win I was hoping for, it was a win nonetheless.  There is just a mixed bag of emotions going through my head right now.  I really wish it wasn’t going to be over.

-GP

No comments:

Post a Comment